The Cotrel twins pose next to the original 1873 state line marker, with their
great-uncle Elisha B. Smith, owner of the Lakeside House across the highway.
To the left of Applebee’s along U.S. 50 is a wooden bear statue. This is the location of the original state line in the 1870s. The Lakeside House occupied this location, with the state line running through the middle of the hotel. Across the highway was a stone obelisk marking the state line at the time, and visitors would pose for photographs at the marker in front of the hotel.
By the 1890s, the state line was surveyed more precisely, and moved to its current location at Stateline Avenue.